Fava Beans & English Pea Salad With Pecorini And Mint DressingFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
- 4 cups broad/fava beans (or lima...or edamame!) shopping list
- 2 cups fresh English peas shopping list
- 8 slices of applewood smoked bacon, chopped shopping list
- a handful of slivered almonds, toasted shopping list
- 1/2 cup mixture of both Pecorino and parmesan cheese, grated shopping list
- a handful of fresh mint, leaves picked shopping list
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons shopping list
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Bring a pot to the boil, half-filled with water, but with NO SALT as this makes broad beans and peas toughen. Add whatever beans you are using. Cook for around 3 to 5 minutes, depending on how young the beans are. Drain, and place in icebath to chill.
- Place bacon on a baking tray, with the almonds spread out next to it. Place in a hot oven at 475 degrees − keeping an eye on the almonds to make sure they don't color too much. You should be able to crisp up the bacon at the same time as toasting the almonds, but simply remove one or the other if it is getting too far ahead.
- Drain beans and peas from ice bath and place in salad bowl. add the olive oil and 4 to 5 tablespoons of lemon juice, to your preference. Add cheese and mint. Toss and season to taste− it should have an amazing flavor of sweet peas, twangy lemon, fragrant mint and a softness and roundness from the cheese. A balance is good, but you should also trust your own personal judgement.
- Divide on plates. Sprinkle the bacon over and serve.