Healthy Whole grain WafflesFrom katcooks 7 years ago
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 milk) shopping list
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats shopping list
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour (or use all ww pastry flour and omit white flour) shopping list
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ or cornmeal or ground flax seed shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 t cardamon, optional shopping list
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar (this can be omitted) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon canola oil shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal/flax), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat.
- Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron).
- Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 188 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrate; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 328 mg sodium.
- 2 Carbohydrate Servings
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Wrap any leftovers individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.