Easter BabkaFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- 2 c milk shopping list
- 1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 pk (2 T) dry yeast shopping list
- 1/4 c Warm water shopping list
- 4 lg eggs shopping list
- 4 lg egg yolks shopping list
- 1 c sugar shopping list
- 1 ts salt shopping list
- Zest of 2 oranges shopping list
- Zest of 1 lemon shopping list
- 1 ts vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 tb orange-flavored liqueur shopping list
- 9 c Sifted unbleached flour shopping list
- 1 c slivered almonds, chopped shopping list
- 1 c Muscat raisins shopping list
- 1 c golden raisins shopping list
- 3 tb confectioners' sugar shopping list
- 1 1/4 c confectioners' sugar mixed shopping list
- -WITH 1/4 c lemon juice AND 1 ts water, for glaze shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, scald milk. Add butter and stir until melted. Remove pan from heat and let mixture cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, stir yeast into warm water; let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, or until foamy. In a large bowl, beat eggs, yolks, and sugar until thick. Add salt, zests, vanilla, and liqueur. Stir to combine. Stir in milk mixture, then yeast.
- Add flour, a cupful at a time, until dough is moist but not sticky, mixing with a wooden spoon or your hands. Stir in almonds and raisins. Knead dough on a floured board, adding more flour if dough is too sticky, until dough comes away from your hands, about 6 minutes.
- Place dough in a very large buttered bowl. Cover dough with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down and let rise again until doubled, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Heat oven to 350'. Butter three 9-or 10-inch kugelhopf or angel-food-cake pans. Sprinkle pans with a tablespoon of confec tioners' sugar, if desired. Divide dough into 3 portions and form into balls; arrange in pans and cover loosely. Let dough rise to tops of pans, about 30 minutes.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until cakes are golden brown and tops make a hollow sound when tapped with knuckles. Cool for 5 minutes in pans; turn out onto racks and cool for 20 minutes more. Spoon glaze onto babka, allowing it to drip over sides.