Franks Bean SoupFrom summerhillie 4 years ago
- 20 oz beans -- assorted* shopping list
- 1 1/2 lb smoked ham -- cut in bite size shopping list
- 2 qt water shopping list
- 1 can tomatoes -- chopped & juice shopping list
- 1 ea onion, lg -- chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp chili powder shopping list
- 1 ea lemon juice shopping list
- 1 pinch salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- 1 dash liquid smoke shopping list
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or to taste shopping list
How to make it
- *Northern, pinto, large lima, black eye, garbanzo, sm white, baby lima, kidney, black, navy, split pea, lentil, barley, etc. can be used.
- Wash the beans thoroughly. Place the beans in a pot, cover with water 2 or 3 inches above beans and add 2 tablespoons salt. Soak overnight.
- Next day, drain, add 2 quarts water, the chopped ham, ham hocks, or sausage. Bring to boil. Simmer slowly until just tender, about 2 hours.
- Add 1 large chopped onion, 1 large can of chopped tomatoes, chili power, lemon juice, and clove of minced garlic. Simmer another 30 minutes or until beans and onions are tender. Add salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce to taste.