Tuscan Onion Soup With Shaved ParmesanFrom peetabear 4 years ago
- 3 pounds white onions (3 or 4 large) shopping list
- 4 medium leeks shopping list
- 4 ounces pancetta, in 1 piece shopping list
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 6 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 3 to 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 3/4 to 1 cup fruity red wine, such as merlot or Beaujolais shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 6 slices rustic country style bread shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, halved shopping list
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, in 1 chunk shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Peel the onions and cut in half lengthwise. Thinly slice crosswise. Trim the leeks and cut in half lengthwise. Slice crosswise in 1/4-inch slices, using 3 inches of pale green. Place the leeks in cold water, and rinse to remove the dirt. Drain. Reserve the onions and leeks.
- Unroll the pancetta and dice into 1/4-inch pieces. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until some of the fat has been rendered, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and leeks. Sauté for 20 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir the vinegar, wine, salt, and pepper into the soup. Cook until thoroughly heated.
- Toast the bread slices, and rub with the peeled garlic clove halves.
- Spoon the soup into soup bowls. Float the bread croutons in the soup. Pare 4 or 5 shavings of the cheese on top of each serving. Garnish with the chopped parsley, and serve immediately.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!