Gado Gado Indonesian Vegetable SaladFrom nflatte 6 years ago
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- vegetable oil (peanut, roasted peanut or canola—not olive) shopping list
- 1 or 2 dried, crushed hot chile peppers (or more if you like it spicy!) shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 Tbs. minced ginger shopping list
- 2 cups coconut milk (lite is okay) shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups water shopping list
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (can add a little more to make it more peanutty) shopping list
- vegetable (for vegetarians) or chicken boullion cube (optional—dissolve in the water) shopping list
- grated rind and juice of 1 lime or lemon (I use lime) shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar shopping list
- 1Tbs. soy sauce shopping list
- Assorted vegetables (any combination will do): carrots, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumber, bean sprouts, green beans, etc. shopping list
- Other accompaniments: fried tofu cubes, cooked shrimp (unless vegetarian), cooked rice, hard-cooked eggs shopping list
- Use whatever combo of vegetables and accompaniments that you like shopping list
How to make it
- Saute onion in 1 or 2 Tbs. vegetable oil (NOT extra-virgin olive oil—I use peanut oil) in 2.5 quart saucepan.
- When onions soften, add garlic.
- When onions are transparent, add all other ingredients.
- Simmer for 15-30 minutes, stirring fairly often so the sauce doesn’t stick to your saucepan.
- Adjust seasonings to taste (sometimes adding a little soy sauce helps). Remove bay leaves.
- You can eat this right away, but I actually like to make it ahead and reheat it so the flavors meld together better.
- Serve this with vegetables like steamed carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, bean sprouts, green beans, or bean sprouts (all lightly steamed).
- May also serve with rice, hard-boiled eggs, fried tofu cubes, and cooked shrimp (unless vegetarian).
- Sauce can also be tossed with noodles.
- Note: Dressing may be made a couple of days ahead. Dressing also freezes very well.
The Cooknflatte Muncie, IN
- Not added to any groups yet!