Croque MonsieurFrom blackcupcake 5 years ago
- •14oz (400g) gruyere cheese, grated shopping list
- •4 tbsp butter, plus softened butter for spreading shopping list
- •2 tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- •2/3 cup whole milk shopping list
- •2 tsp Dijon mustard shopping list
- •8 slices white sandwich bread shopping list
- •8 thin slices of ham shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare ahead
- Steps 1 and 2 can be completed 2 hours ahead.
- Cut 4oz (115g) of the cheese into thin slices and shred the rest.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour and let bubble without browning for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk. Simmer, whisking often, until smooth and thick. Add the shredded cheese and mustard and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Position a broiler rack 6in (15cm) from the heat and preheat the broiler. Toast the bread slices on 1 side only
- . Spread the untoasted sides lightly with butter, then top 4 slices with the ham and sliced cheese.
- Press the remaining 4 bread slices on top, toasted sides up, and spread with the cheese mixture.
- Broil about 2 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and golden brown. Serve at once.