Homemade Mozzarella CheeseFrom lenora 6 years ago
How to make it
- Add 1 1/4 cups of vinegar to 2 1/2 gallons of cold milk. Mix well. Slowly heat milk to 88degrees F.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon of liquid rennet stirring in while adding.
- Let set at 88 degrees F for 15 minutes or until curd has formed.
- Cut curds into 1/2 inch cubes. Let set at 88 degrees F for another 15 minutes. Heat curds and whey up to 98 to 100 degrees F very slowly over a period of about 20 minutes.
- Stir gently a few times to keep curds from matting together.
- Let set for 10 minutes.
- Drain off whey through cheese cloth set in a colander.
- Hang curds to drain for 1 hour. Heat a large pot of water to 170 degrees F.
- Cut curds into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Put a handful of curds into a clean bowl that can withstand the heat and cover with the hot water.
- Knead curds with 2 wooden spoons. As water gets milky, replace with new.
- As water cools, curds can be kneaded with hands.
- Continue kneading and stretching cheese until it is elastic and shiny. Form cheese into balls, sealing any cracks.
- Drop into a bowl filled with ice water brine solution and leave in solution for an hour.
- Remove from water, pat dry and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.