Home Made Blue Ribbon Chili With BeansFrom texaspapajohn 6 years ago
- 10-ea dried New Mexico red chili pods shopping list
- 20-ea dried chili de Arbol pods shopping list
- 6-ea dried ancho chili pods shopping list
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth shopping list
- 4-ea cloves garlic shopping list
- 1-tblsp paprika Hungary sweet shopping list
- ½-tsp sea salt shopping list
- 2-tblsp canola oil shopping list
- 2-ea Large red onion, chopped shopping list
- 4-lbs sirloin beef, coarsely ground shopping list
- 1-ea 15 oz can tomato sauce shopping list
- 2-ea 10 oz cans rotel diced tomatoes shopping list
- 5-tblsp canola oil shopping list
- ½-tsp ground black pepper, Tellicherry Coarse Grind shopping list
- 2-tblsp ground cumin shopping list
- 4-tblsp Masa flour shopping list
- 3-ea large jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and pureed shopping list
- 1 large can (102 ozs) ranch style beans shopping list
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Rinse chili pods, remove stems and seeds.
- Place chicken broth and pods in a pan and heat to boiling, reduce heat and allow simmering until pods are soft and pulpy, approximately 20 minutes, reserve liquid.
- Remove pods and separate Ancho pods from the others.
- Put Ancho pods through fruit mill to separate the pulp from the skins.
- Discard the skins, which tend to be bitter.
- Place pods, Ancho pulp, paprika, salt and 8 oz reserved liquid in a food blender.
- Puree in blender until a smooth, paste-like consistency is obtained.
- Pour mixture into small bowl and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, brown the meat, onion and the garlic in 2 Tbs oil.
- Add the tomato sauce, Rotel tomatoes, pulp mixture and remainder of reserved liquid.
- Heat 5 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat, fry flour, black pepper and cumin for 5 minutes and add this roux to the chili. Add pureed jalapeno peppers, cheddar cheese and ranch style beans.
- Simmer mixture over low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- For best results, refrigerate and reheat and serve the next day.
- NOTE: Ranch Style Beans are a Dallas texas product and may not be available in other parts of the country. The ingredients are pinto beans, tomato puree, oil, salt, chili peppers, sugar, vinigar, cumin, onion,and garlic.
- Good eating!
The Cooktexaspapajohn Dallas, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!