Martin Yans Scallion Cakes with dipping sauceFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- FOR THE CAKES: shopping list
- 3 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water shopping list
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening shopping list
- 2 tsp. Asian sesame oil shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chopped scallions shopping list
- 1 tbsp. salt shopping list
- 1 tsp. freshly ground white pepper shopping list
- vegetable oil shopping list
- FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE: shopping list
- 1/2 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce shopping list
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped scallions shopping list
- 2 tsp. minced garlic shopping list
- 1 tsp. Asian-style chile sauce shopping list
How to make it
- 1. For the cakes: Put flour in a bowl, and add 1 1/4 cups boiling water, stirring with a fork until dough holds together. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Cover with plastic, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- 2. Divide dough into 12 pieces, shape into balls, and cover with plastic. Working with 1 ball at a time, roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface into a 5'' round. Brush with a thin film of shortening. Sprinkle with a little sesame oil, some scallions, and salt and pepper. Roll dough into a cylinder, coil it into a circle, and tuck end underneath. Roll into a 5'' round. Repeat process with remaining dough.
- 3. Heat 2 tbsp. vegetable oil in a medium skillet. Fry cakes, one at a time, until blistered and golden, about 2 minutes per side. Add more vegetable oil as needed. Drain on paper towels.
- 4. For the dipping sauce: Combine stock, soy sauce, scallions, garlic, and chile sauce in a small bowl. Cut cakes into quarters, and serve with dipping sauce.
The Cookpeetabear Mid-hudson Valley, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!