Roast TurkeyFrom sfcboyance 6 years ago
- For the brine: shopping list
- 1 cup kosher salt shopping list
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 gallon chicken stock shopping list
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns shopping list
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger shopping list
- 1 gallon iced water shopping list
- For the aromatics: shopping list
- 1 red apple, sliced shopping list
- 1/2 onion, sliced shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 4 fresh sprigs rosemary shopping list
- 6 leaves sage shopping list
- peanut oil shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all brine ingredients, except ice water, in a stockpot, and bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve solids, then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Early on the day of cooking, (or late the night before) combine the brine and ice water in a clean 5-gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey breast side down in brine, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area (like a garage) for 6 hours. Turn turkey over once, half way through brining.
- Remove bird from brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard brine.
- Place bird on roasting rack inside a roasting pan and pat dry with. Add aromatics to cavity along with rosemary and sage. Tuck back wings and coat whole bird liberally with Peanut oil.
- Roast on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cover breast with double layer of aluminum foil, insert probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and return to oven, reducing temperature to 350 degrees F. Set thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let turkey rest, loosely covered for 15 minutes before carving.