peach blueberry pieFrom hiddenpoet 6 years ago
- for the filling: shopping list
- 2 cups fresh blueberries rinsed and dried shopping list
- 1.5 pounds fresh ripe peaches skinned and sliced shopping list
- the juice from half a ripe lemon shopping list
- 1/3 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- for the pate brisee: shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour sifted shopping list
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter diced shopping list
- heavy pinch of kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup ice water shopping list
- 1 egg beaten with a little water ( not used until right before baking) shopping list
How to make it
- put 1 cup of the four and the salt into the mixer and set it on low. add the butter slowly in small handfuls at a time until all butter is in there then increase to medium until it's all blended. now reduce the speed to low and mix in about 1 1/4 more cups of flour, and then slowly pour the ice water in. when it's all together it should be smooth and not sticky.
- form the dough into a ball and cut in half. on a floured work surface roll out the two halves of the crust until they are discs large enough to cover your nine inch pie dish. put one crust in plastic wrap and the other into the pie dish. refrigerate for about an hour.
- preheat the oven to 400.
- remove the pie crusts from the fridge.
- toss the peaches and blueberries with the sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch. if your peaches are not very juicy then you can reduce the amount of cornstarch to 1 1/2 tablespoons.make certain that ths all gets a good coat, as nobody wants a runny pie.
- put the filling into the pie dish, and cut vents into the top crust. cover with the second crust and press the edges of the bottom and top together to make a seal. brush the top crust with the egg wash and pop it into the oven for an hour, or until the crust is golden brown and the pie's juices bubble through the vents.(you can cover the outer edge of the crust with aluminum foil to prevent it from burning.)
- cool and serve with the traditional vanilla ice cream.