Kiev CakeFrom kutadkubilik 4 years ago
- For meringue: 4 egg whites shopping list
- 1 cup super-fine sugar shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
- 1 cup chopped nuts (in the original, hazelnuts or cashews are recommended, but I used almonds and walnuts; both worked fine) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons potato starch (I used cornstarch) shopping list
- For buttercream: shopping list
- 3 egg yolks shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup milk shopping list
- 300 grams butter (1 stick is 113 grams) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder shopping list
How to make it
- For meringue:
- The following ingredients and baking instructions are for ONE cake layer. We will need TWO of these, i.e. all amounts need to be doubled. Due to the volume of the whipped whites, it’s easier to make one layer at a time.
- Make meringue:
- Preheat oven to 275 F.
- Beat together egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks are formed. Still beating on high speed, gradually add sugar intil whites form stiff and glossy peaks.
- Sift starch over whites, then sprinkle nuts on top. Fold nuts gently but thoroughly into meringue. Spread evenly onto baking sheet lined with parchment. Make sure there is room for meringue to spread when baking. I drew a 10-inch circle on the parchment, but I think this cake works better in a rectangular shape.
- Bake 1.5-2 hours, until firm and pale golden.
- Cool on rack; peel off parchment.
- Make buttercream:
- Stirring constantly, bring milk, sugar and yolks to boil; cook until thickens. Beat cooled mixture into butter; add cocoa.
- Assemble cake, layering meringue with buttercream; sprinkle with crushed meringue trimmings or nuts.
The Cookkutadkubilik Istanbul, TR
- Not added to any groups yet!