Turkey and oatmeal stuffed cabbageFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- 1 medium head of cabbage shopping list
- 1 lb ground turkey shopping list
- 1 small onion minced shopping list
- 1 small sweet carrot fine grated shopping list
- 1 stalk of celery finely chopped shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic chopped shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1/4 cup tomato product ( salsa , catsup, paste etc. ) shopping list
- salt , pepper, chopped parsley, cumin to taste shopping list
- 1 to 2 cups quick cooking oats as need to bind mixture shopping list
- Simple cabbage sauce: shopping list
- 1 large can of tomato puree shopping list
- 1/2 cup brown sugar shopping list
- fresh lemon juice to taste shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- extra cabbage chopped shopping list
How to make it
- iPlace cored cabbage in a pot and cover with water and a Tbs of oil and boil till leaves look softened and translucent.
- Remove and drain and cool.
- Make stuffing mixture.
- Combine everything but oats in a bowl and mix well.
- Add oats and mix until a meatloaf type mixture forms.
- Separate leaves from cabbage ( cut off tough ribs with kitchen shears) and place one heaping Tbs of mixture onto center of cabbage leaf and fold and mold cabbage into a roll or pocket over the meat.
- Place rolls seam side down in deep pan or casserole dish, repeating until all meat mixture used up.
- Combine sauce and brown sugar and lemon juice for a sweet sour taste.
- Heat to dissolve sugar.
- Pour over cabbage leaves.
- Chop some of remaining cabbage and place over the sauce.
- Seal with foil and bake 350 about 45 minutes or well heated.
- Tastes best when allowed to cool and reheated the following day.
- Serves 6 to 8.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating2 people
looks delish, love the recipechichimonkeyface in Albany loved it
You are right-on re oatmeal replacing bread crumbs and rice. And I too use ground turkey (Husband's body stores too much iron). I love turkey, lower calorie, takes any flavors.
This sounds very delicious!! 5555555555555555555555ttaaccoo in Buffalo loved it
Food Styling And Photography254 members
Good To Freeze126 members
Comfort Foods769 members
FROM SCRATCH146 members
Family Favorites138 members
Delicious Foods39 members
The Way To A Mans Heart61 members
Packages Jars And Cans29 members