New Style Beef BourguignonFrom michaelc 9 years ago
- 2 lbs. beef chuck, cut into 1” cubes shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- ½ tsp cayenne powder shopping list
- 6-8 strips bacon shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter shopping list
- 2 Med. onions, diced shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 6 celery stalks, cleaned ½” chop shopping list
- 6 carrots, peeled ½” chop shopping list
- 2 zucchini, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 Can (28oz) diced tomatoes shopping list
- 1 lb Boiler (Pearl) onions, peeled but whole shopping list
- 3-4 oz tomato paste (1/2 of a small can) shopping list
- 5-6 c. Flavorful liquid (You can use any combo of: wine, beer, broth, stock, or vegetable juice) shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 tbsp thyme shopping list
- 8 Med. potatoes, peeled and diced shopping list
- 1 Can cut green beans, drained shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- egg noodles, cooked shopping list
How to make it
- Mix flour with cayenne pepper and 1 tablespoon each salt and pepper. Spread flour mixture into a shallow dish.
- Dredge beef cubes in flour mixture and set aside
- In a large dutch oven on high, brown the bacon. Remove from pan and crumble
- Brown dredged beef in rendered oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pot, until pieces are browned on all sides, adding more butter if necessary. Remove browned pieces to a work bowl
- Lower heat to medium and add diced onion, garlic carrots and celery. Cook until vegetables begin to soften.
- Turn heat to high and add liquid, tomatoes, zucchini, bay leaves, thyme and tomato paste. Stir thoroughly. When liquid begins to boil reduce to a simmer and add browned beef and bacon.
- Cook for 1 hour
- Add diced potatoes. Cook for 15 more minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in green beans, season for salt and pepper and serve over egg noodles.
The Cookmichaelc Rosedale, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!