Whole Wheat FlatbreadsFrom babsalaba 4 years ago
How to make it
- In a large bowl, mix together yeast and warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes in a warm place until the yeast mixture is foamy.
- Add 3 cups of the whole wheat flour, one cup at a time, mixing well until you have a rough, shaggy dough that starts to drag on the sides of the bowl. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Add the salt and oil, mix well and then add the remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until you have a nice stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for 8-10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, and let it rise int a warm spot for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Punch down the dough and divide in half. Section it into 12 pieces. Roll out each ball of dough to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Lightly coat the griddle with cooking spray.
- Place a round on the griddle (mine can hold two at a time). Let it cook for 15 second, then flip it. Let it cook for about a minute until bubbles start to form, then flip it back over and let cook another minute.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Wrap the breads in a tea towel to keep warm.