Marathon Liver and Bacon With OnionsFrom shawnsterx 7 years ago
- 1 pound of calf liver shopping list
- 2 cups of milk shopping list
- 2 tsp of powdered beef bullion shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup of pancake mix shopping list
- 1 TBSP brown sugar shopping list
- 1 pound of bacon shopping list
- 2 large onions shopping list
- 1 stick of butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 clove garlic /minced (or use 1 1/2 TBSP onion powder) shopping list
How to make it
- BLEND milk & beef bullion in bowl then soak liver in mixture overnight. Use plastic wrap over bowl or use a seal-able container. (The salt in the bullion will help soften the liver a little and enhance flavor)
- When ready to prepare liver the next day, place bacon strips on LARGE cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until fully cooked. (Tip: Bacon turns out better this way than frying on a pan) Save bacon drippings in Glass container for later use.
- While bacon is cooking mix brown sugar with pancake mix and then drain milk from liver and discard. Thoroughly coat liver in mixture and set aside.
- Saute` Onions in skillet with butter and garlic to season frying pan. You may opt to use some of the bacon drippings for frying the onions. Set aside on cookie sheet you baked the bacon on... Keep oven on warm... Also keep prepared bacon warm in this pan
- Fry liver in bacon grease, make sure you use the same pan you used to saute` the onions in. Use Medium heat and fry for 3 minutes on each side. Liver is ready when easily pierced by a fork and juices run clear. (I prefer mine with a little pink in the middle) Keep liver warm on your oven cookie sheet until ready to serve.
- Top Liver with bacon & onions and serve with your favorite dishes.
- I like to serve homemade biscuits, green vegetables (broccoli or brussels sprouts) and scalloped potatoes with this meal. Additionally, Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot served at room temperature will compliment this meal nicely.