Food trivia question 2

• lovebreezy 15 years ago
    25 years ago large this aquatic vertebrate might sell for a penny a pound for catfood, if it sold at all. Today, that same animal will sell for up to $50 per pound (that's $50,000 for a one!), mainly due to the popularity of two Asian food specialties.
    Name this animal and the Asian food specialties.
    Flag
  • wynnebaer 15 years ago said:
    Wow....Great question, LB.....The only thing that comes to mind for me is lobster but on the other hand I don't think it was only 25 years ago that lobster was peasant food......ANd don't know what the dishes could be considering I"m not sure of the fish...:)
    Flag
  • lovebreezy 15 years ago said:
    Atlantic Bluefin tuna, sushi and sashimi.

BLUEFIN TUNA
    25 years ago large Atlantic bluefin tuna (250 to over 1,000 pounds) might sell for a penny a pound for cat food, if it sold at all. Today, that same bluefin tuna can sell for well over $100 per pound, mainly due to the popularity of sushi and sashimi around the world.

In 2001 a 440 pound bluefin sold for $173,600 in the Japanese Tsukiji fish market - that’s about $394 per pound!

The largest bluefin tuna weighed 1,496 pounds and was caught in Nova Scotia on October 26, 1979.

Unlike most fish which are cold-blooded, bluefin are warm blooded. They can swim as fast as 50 miles per hour in short bursts and they can live as long as 30 years.

Bluefin were known as 'horse mackerel' in the early 1900s and were considered only fit for cat and dog food.
    Flag

Have a comment? Join this group first →