Dads French Canadian Baked BeansFrom caquilter 7 years ago
How to make it
- Soak 12 ozs of Great Northern Beans in water overnight or 8 hours.
- Deain beans, preserving 1 cup of water.
- Heat oven to 325
- Layer beans in baking pot with the following ingrediants:
- one medium onion sliced thin
- 2 inch chunk of salt pork
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 cloves of garlic pressed or diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black or white pepper
- 1Tbspn mustard - your choice
- Stir gently
- Place in oven
- Cover leaving making sure to leave an 1/2" opening in bean pot. lid and bake at 325 for three hours, adding reserved water as needed. (Beans should not be allowed to become dry.)
- Serve with apple cider vinegar dribbled over.
- Great refrigerated and served the next day.
The Cookcaquilter Daly City, CA
The Rating2 people
Similar to mine,also French Canadian but always open to trying a new one. Thanks for a nice post!pleclare in Framingham loved it
I've never heard of Great Northern Beans before and I live in New Brunswick, lol Sounds great though!! Thank you.heididouth in Upper Mills loved it
heididouth in Upper Mills loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!