Slow Cooker Pear Brown BethyFrom modelsmom 6 years ago
- 1 lb fresh white bread, challah or brioche, crusts removed, and cut into half-inch cubes shopping list
- 10 T (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 T flour shopping list
- 2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
- pinch of ground ginger shopping list
- 2 1/2 lbs (about 8) firm pears, such as Bartlett or Bosc, peeeled, cored, and thickly sliced shopping list
- 3 T fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup apple or pear juice OR water shopping list
How to make it
- Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake until golden and dry, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to moisten. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
- Add the sugars, flour, and spices to the bread and toss to coat.
- In another large bowl, toss the sliced pears with the lemon juice.
- Put one-third of the spiced bread in the slow cooker. Layer in half the pears and pour over the juice.
- Top with half of the remaining spiced bread, then layer in the remaining pears.
- Finish with the remaining bread cubes.
- Cover and cook on HIGH until bubbly and the fruit is tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Serve hot or cool, with heavy cream or a dollop of creme fraiche (recipe posted).