Arizona Chuck Wagon BeansFrom cuzpat 7 years ago
- 1 Pound Dried navy or pinto beans shopping list
- 6 Cups water shopping list
- 1/4 Pound salt pork -- diced shopping list
- 1 Large onion -- chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove -- minced shopping list
- 1 Large green pepper -- chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 Pounds chuck steak -- cubed shopping list
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1/2 Teaspoon oregano -- crumbled shopping list
- 1/4 Teaspoon red pepper shopping list
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 8 Ounces tomato sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Pick over beans and rinse well. Combine beans and water in a large
- kettle. Bring to boiling; cover; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and
- let stand 1 hour then pour into slow cooker.
- Brown salt pork in a large skillet; remove with a slowtted spoon to cooker; saute onion, garlic and green pepper in pan drippings; remove with slotted spoon to cooker. Brown beef, a few pieces at a time in pan drippings; remove to cooker with slotted spoon; stir in salt, oregano, red pepper, cumin and tomato sauce. Add more water, if necessary to bring liquid level above beans.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours, or until
- beans are tender.