Butternut Squash SoupFrom scienceislikecooking 4 years ago
- 1 large butternut (or other winter squash), peeled, and cut into 1 in chunks shopping list
- 1/2 oinion, diced shopping list
- 4 stalks celery, diced shopping list
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced shopping list
- Any other spare veggies lurking in the fridge-peppers and mushrooms are great! shopping list
- 2-4c veggie or chicken stock shopping list
- 3T olive oil shopping list
- 1T butter or olive oil shopping list
- salt, pepper, other spices to taste shopping list
- Topping shopping list
- 1c. heavy whipping cream shopping list
- 1/4c. chopped chives or scallions shopping list
- 2tsp salt shopping list
How to make it
- Prep veggies.
- Place squash on a large sheet pan or 9x13. Toss with 3T olive oil and salt and pepper. I like to use herbed pepper here. Roast in oven for 40min at 400F or until tender.
- Sautee other veggies with 1T butter until crisp tender in large soup pot.
- Add squash and cover with stock. Simmer gently, about 20min until everything is almost mushy.
- While simmering whip the cream until stiff peaks form (you're looking for whip cream type consistency). Stir in salt and greens.
- Using an immersion blender puree the whole soup (off the heat!! don't get burned). If you don't have one of these fancy gadgets (you totally should they're awesome) you can use your regular blender in batches.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with a dollop of cream.
- PS..the soup all by itself freezes wonderfully!!
The Cookscienceislikecooking Rockville
- Not added to any groups yet!