BEEF STEW WITH FEATHER DUMPLINGSFrom cuzpat 5 years ago
How to make it
- Brown 1 pound cubed stewing beef in 2 tablespoons fat. Add 5 cups water and season with salt, pepper bay leaf, thyme and Worcestershire Sauce. Simmer, covered, until meat is nearly tender. Add 3/4 cup each diced carrots and turnips and 8 to 10 small white onions. (Any desired combinations of vegetables and seasonings may be used.) Cook until vegetables are done.
- Thicken stew slightly with flour and water paste. Drop feather dumplings on simmering stew, dover tightly, and simmer 14 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
- Feather Dumplings
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons melted fat
- Sift flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift again. Add milk and fat. Then stir quickly and lightly until a very soft dough is formed. Drip by small spoonfuls on simmering stew, making sure each dumpling rests on meat or vegetables. (Dumplings should not settle in liquid. If necessary, pour off excess gravy, returning it to stew after the dumplings are cooked.) Cover kettle tightly and cook gently 14 minutes. Do not remove cover while dumplings cook. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- Note: For the fat, use a little fat skimmed from stew in making these dumplings. It gives extra desired taste