Duck In Spicy Orange SauceFrom sacredspice 6 years ago
- 6 duck legs shopping list
- 8 cloves of garlic crushed shopping list
- Similar amount of ginger to garlic, sliced shopping list
- 2 medium red chilli's whole (add another if you like it hot) shopping list
- Large carton of fresh orange juice (as natural as possible, not sunny delight) shopping list
- 2 large fresh lemon grass stalks, tough outer skin removed, bruised then thinely chopped (must be very fresh and finely chopped or it will be stringy, if unsure add whole and remove at the after cooking) shopping list
- 5 star anise shopping list
- Good grind of pepper shopping list
- 10 spring onions white bit only, sliced lengthways shopping list
- 4 tbsp fish sauce shopping list
- 1 tbsp of palm sugar (unrefined sugar is fine) shopping list
- 1/2tsp - 1 tsp of cornflour shopping list
- Small amount of cooking oil shopping list
How to make it
- In a large deep casserole pan heat a little cooking oil on medium heat
- Fry the duck legs constantly turning for about 20 minutes. Keep pouring away fat and save for another recipe. Fry off as much fat as possible! Remove duck legs to one side but keep a little fat in pan.
- Reduce heat and add garlic and ginger and fry for 2 minutes.
- Return duck legs to pan and add just enough orange juice to almost cover the duck.
- Add fish sauce, star anise, lemon grass, chillis and pepper.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 hour 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add most of the spring onion and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- By this time the sauce should have reduce allot and shouldn't be too runny however if not add cornflour 1/2 tsp at a time stirring to thicken.
- Serve with some extra shredded spring onion on top and rice or noodles to soke up the sauce.