Potato Leek Soup With DillFrom jena 6 years ago
- 5 large leeks, rinsed and chopped shopping list
- 5 fist sized russet or yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1 inch chunks. shopping list
- 3 carrots, coined shopping list
- 1 jalepeno pepper, take seeds out and dice shopping list
- 2 sprigs of fresh dill shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 4 quarts chicken stock shopping list
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 tsp thyme shopping list
- 1/2 cup white wine shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- plain yogurt (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the leeks length-wize and then across to form 1 inch pieces.
- Use mostly the white part of the leek.
- Put the cut pieces in a large bowl or two of water to clean out any dirt drain and rinse.
- Mince the garlic.
- Place oil in a large skillet or pot over medium heat.
- Add the leeks, potatoes, carrots and the garlic, salt and pepper and let cook for 10 minutes stirring from time to time.
- Add the stock, jalepeno, bay leaf, thyme, wine and one dill sprig.
- Bring this to a boil and then turn heat to low and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Test potatoes to see if soft and if so, turn off the heat and let sit for 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove the bay leaf and let cool a little.
- Then puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- Add back to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with the remaining dill(minced) and add yogurt dollop on top if desired.