Green Tomato MincemeatFrom bostonmargy 4 years ago
- 3 lbs green tomatoes, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 lbs tart apples, coarsely chopped, with skin shopping list
- 3 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 10 oz currants shopping list
- 6 oz dried tart cherries shopping list
- 1 cup cider vinegar shopping list
- 1/2 cup chopped, crystallized ginger shopping list
- 2 oranges, cut into slices, seeded shopping list
- 2 cinnamon sticks shopping list
- 1 tsp ground mace shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cloves shopping list
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
- 2 juniper berries, cracked (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Place the tomatoes in a large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and blanch for 4 - 5 minutes. Drain.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Mix well and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Let the mincemeat cool. Remove the orange slices and cinnamon sticks and transfer to a covered container. Store in refrigerator for up to one week, or freeze for several months.
- Recipe from "Great Good Food: Luscious Lower-Fat Cooking," by Julee Rosso