Pumpkin pieFrom rockstarzy 6 years ago
- Ingredients for Filling: shopping list
- 3 cups of cooked pumpkin shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger ground shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- 1teaspoon ground allspice shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 1/2 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk shopping list
- *****if you don't feel like opening an extra can 1 can works fine shopping list
- NOTE FOR PUMPKIN: Do not use Jack 'o' lantern pumpkins for pies they don't taste very good. Use pie pumpkins or sugar pumpkins they are much smaller and sweeter. shopping list
- Pie Crust: (this is for one pie) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups flour (you can use white or whole wheat flour) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup Crisco shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine shopping list
- 1/3 cup water shopping list
- NOTE FOR CRUST: To make an even more flakier crust use 1/6 cup Crisco instead of 1/4 and 1/3 cup butter or margarine instead of 1/4 cup. shopping list
How to make it
- The first thing I like to do is make my pie crust, but you don't have to do it until you need the crust.
- 1. Crust: Combine flour, sugar, crisco and butter; mix well. Add enough water to make the dough hold. I always use 1/3 cup so I am pretty confident in that amount of water. I place my crust in the fridge until I am ready to roll it out.
- 2. Take a small pie pumpkin and cut it in half. Clean out the guts and seeds (be sure to keep your seeds so that you can roast them) and don't forget to take the stem off. There are a few different ways to cook the pumpkin. I personally like to cut the halves into fourths so that there are eight pieces and I place them in a large pot with water covering them. Almost as if you were making mashed potatoes only you leave the skin on the pumpkin. Cook it on med/high for about 20-30 minutes or until the skins start to fall off.
- 3. Place the pumpkin in a strainer and just let any excess water run out of the pumpkin (just a few seconds). Blend well then add all of the filling ingredients. Once blended/mixed well.
- 4. Now I take my pie crust out and roll it out and place in pie pan. Place filling in and get ready to bake.
- 5. Cook pie at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Then cook for another 45-60 minutes (or until knife inserted is clean) at 350 degrees F.
- Serve hot or cold, but don't forget the whipped cream! I like to add a little bit of cinnamon on my whipped cream.