Cradle CakeFrom image 7 years ago
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 T baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 4 eggs, separated, at room temperature shopping list
- 2 cups sugar, divided shopping list
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans shopping list
- 1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, grated shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened shopping list
- 1 tsp. vanilla shopping list
- 3/4 cup milk shopping list
- 2 squares semisweet chocolate melted with 3 T water (for garnish) shopping list
- 8 pecan halves (for garnish) shopping list
How to make it
- Grease a 9 or 10 inch tube pan. Line bottom with waxed paper; set aside. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In medium bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar until stiff, glossy peaks form. Fold in nuts and grated chocolate. Spread mixture on bottom of tube pan and three quarters up the sides as though lining it.
- In large bowl cream butter and remaining 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla untel well blended. Stir in flour mixture alternatively with milk until well blended. Pour cake mixture into pan, making sure it is surrounded by meringue on all sides and lower than top of meringue. Bake in preheated 325 oven 65-70 minutes or until pick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Do not invert pan. Cool on rack 25 min. or until sides can be loosened easily with metal spatula. Turn out on serving plate. Peel off waxed paper; cool completely. Take the 8 pecans and dip one end into chocolate mixture. Drizzle rest of chocolate mixture over cake and place pecans around the top.