Mock Cream Of Potato Soup Aka Roasted Root Veggie ChowderFrom celiac_ceahow_martine 4 years ago
- Lots of the following, in any combination (but listed in my own order of preference) shopping list
- yucca shopping list
- taro shopping list
- jicama shopping list
- parsnips shopping list
- kohlrabi shopping list
- turnips shopping list
- daikon radish shopping list
- celery root shopping list
- any other root vegetable you enjoy shopping list
- cooking oil spray shopping list
- kosher or sea salt shopping list
- creole seasoning (I like Tony Chachere's or my own blend; if I use Tony's I don't use salt) shopping list
- enough chicken broth to use when pureeing the roasted veggies shopping list
How to make it
- Peel and cut all into appropriately-sized chunks. That is, for harder veggies, cut in smaller chunks, to ensure even coooking throughout.
- You can peel after roasting, too, but you'll have to roast the whole veggies separately from the chunked ones, to make sure each batch is finished at the same time.
- Spray a roasting pan with cooking oil.
- Put veggies on it, then salt or use creole blend
- Roast at 400 degrees for 40-50 min.
- Allow veggies to cool, or you may refrigerate in a ziplock bag for up to a week, for when you have time later to do the blending.
- Blend the veggies with the broth at about a 2:1 ratio of veggies to broth, to create a thick, yummy soup
- I don't use onions, garlic, or much oil because there's already enough "gas" in this recipe, and they all intensify that potential.
- I don't use beets or carrots because I want it to look like a cream of potato soup.
- I don't use potatoes or yams because on my food plan they count as a 1/2 c serving, and the veggies I use all count as a full cup.
- CEAHOW Note: I blend 2 c roasted veggies w/1 c broth. This makes for 2 svgs of veggies and 1 svg of broth.