Shrimp with chili sauceFrom peetabear 6 years ago
- 2 pounds large shrimp, preferably head-on shopping list
- 2 tablespoons ketchup shopping list
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry shopping list
- 2 tablespoons Asian sweet chile sauce shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sugar shopping list
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 medium jalapenos, seeded and minced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 stalk of fresh lemongrass, tender inner white bulb only, minced shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger shopping list
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
- steamed rice, for serving shopping list
How to make it
- Using scissors, cut down the back shell of each shrimp and remove the dark intestinal vein, leaving the shell intact. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, sherry, chile sauce, lemon juice, soy sauce and sugar.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add the deveined shrimp to the skillet and cook over high heat, turning once, until they start to curl and turn pale pink, about 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet with the jalapeños, garlic, lemongrass and ginger and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the scallions and the ketchup mixture and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the cilantro. Spoon the shrimp onto plates and serve with rice.