Fig Date and Oat BarsFrom valinkenmore 5 years ago
- Pam shopping list
- 1/2 cup dried figs, cut into quarters shopping list
- 1/2 cup seedless raisins shopping list
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped shopping list
- juice and finely grated zest of 1 orange shopping list
- 2/3 cup water, divided shopping list
- 2 cups rolled oats shopping list
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg shopping list
- 6 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces shopping list
- 1/4 cup almonds or pecans shopping list
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with Pam; set aside.
- Combine figs, raisins, dates, orange juice and zest and 1/3 cup of the water in a small pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat then reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Set aside to let cool until just warm.
- Put oats, flour, salt and nutmeg in a food processor and pulse 3 or 4 times to lightly blend ingredients and break up oats just a bit. Add butter and pulse again until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add remaining 1/3 cup water and process to combine. Do not overmix. Transfer half of the oat mixture to the prepared pan and press down firmly to coat the bottom. Transfer remaining oat mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Transfer warm fruit mixture and almonds to food processor and pulse to break up almonds and purée fruit. Spread fruit mixture over bottom crust in baking pan and sprinkle remaining oat mixture evenly over the top, pressing it down firmly to ensure it sticks. Drizzle maple syrup over the top and bake until cooked through and crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Set aside to let cool, then cut into squares and serve.