Gails Turkey TacosFrom sosousme 6 years ago
- 6 cups left-over turkey meat, preferably dark meat shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 (14- ounce) can diced tomatoes, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 3 - 4 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chili powder, preferably Gebhardt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crush between your fingertips shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 12 corn tortillas shopping list
- Toppings shopping list
- 2 - 3 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce shopping list
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and thinly sliced shopping list
- 6 tablespoons sour cream, optional shopping list
How to make it
- Shred the turkey; set aside.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet; add the onion and garlic; saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour; saute for a few minutes; add the tomatoes and half the stock, stir well. Add the spices and simmer 10 minutes. Add the turkey and enough stock to cover; simmer 15 minutes. Taste; adjust seasonings and add additional stock, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, brush the tortillas with some olive oil; place on a cookie sheet and set in a 325 degree oven until they become pliable, about 2 - 3 minutes. Dip a tortilla into the simmering sauce; place on an individual warmed plate. Using a slotted spoon, fill with a portion of the turkey mixture; roll the tortilla to resemble an enchilada, continue, filling and rolling (2 rolled "tacos" per plate). Once all the tortillas are filled, spoon additional sauce and turkey over the top. Top with shredded lettuce, avocado slices and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
- Per Serving: 512 Calories; 20g Fat (5g Sat, 9g Mono, 4g Poly); 48g Protein; 36g Carbohydrates; 5g Dietary Fiber; 109mg Cholesterol; 635mg Sodium.