BitterballenFrom carmenbigred 7 years ago
- 4tbs. butter; unsalted shopping list
- 1/2lb. ground beef or veal shopping list
- 1/4c. carrot, finely diced shopping list
- 1/2c. onion, finely chopped shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- A grating of fresh nutmeg shopping list
- 1tbs. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2tbs. parsley, finely chopped shopping list
- 5tbs. flour shopping list
- 1c. beef broth shopping list
- 1/2c dry breadcrumbs shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten with 1tsp. water shopping list
- oil for deep frying shopping list
How to make it
- Heat 1tbs. butter in a large skillet over moderate heat and cook the meat, carrots, and onions until the meat is browned and the carrots are tender.
- Drain the meat in a colander, then place in a mixing bowl. Add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, lemon juice, and parsley and stir to combine. Set the meat mixture aside.
- Heat the remaining 3tbs. of butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and stir in the flour to make a roux.
- Cook this for 3 minutes, then add the beef broth. Continue heating, stirring constantly, until the sauce boils and becomes quite thick.
- Combine the sauce with the meat mixture, stirring to combine them thoroughly, and chill this mixture for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator, until it has become solid. When the mixture has solidified, roll it into balls about 1 inch in diameter, using your hands.
- Roll the balls in the breadcrumbs, then in the egg and water mixture, then in the breadcrumbs again.
- Fry a few at a time in a deep fryer with at least 2 inches of oil at 375 degrees until golden 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.....
The Cookcarmenbigred Columbia, SC
The Rating3 people
Oh Yes!! This defintely is going on the menu forever!!! HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it