NOSTALGIC CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGSFrom spinach1948 5 years ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves ( 10 oz each ), skin removed shopping list
- 2 whole cloves shopping list
- 12 frozen pearl or small whole onions, thawed shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- ½ tsp. Each salt, dried thyme, and dried marjoram shopping list
- ¼ tsp. pepper shopping list
- ½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- ½ cup white wine or additional chicken broth shopping list
- 3 Tbs. cornstarch shopping list
- ¼ cup cold water shopping list
- ½ tsp. browning sauce, optional shopping list
- 1 cup reduced-fat biscuit / baking mix shopping list
- 6 Tbs. fat-free milk shopping list
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Insert cloves into an onion; add to slow cooker. Add bay leaf and remaining onions. Sprinkle with garlic with garlic, salt, thyme, marjoram and pepper. Pour broth and wine or additional broth over chicken mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4 ½ to 5 hours or until chicken juices run clear and a meat thermometer reads 170.
- Remove chicken and keep warm. Discard cloves and bay leaf. Increase temperature to high. In a small bowl, combine, water and browning sauce if desired until smooth. Stir into slow cooker.
- In another bowl, combine biscuit mix, milk and parsley. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering liquid. Cover and simmer for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean ( do not lift cover while simmering ).Serve dumplings and gravy over chicken.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- Nutritional Values: Serving size 1 chicken breast half. Calories per serving: 295, Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 89mg, Sodium: 561mg, Carbohydrate: 24g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 36g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable
- Note: This is Diabetic Friendly, Gastric Bypass Friendly and for anyone.
The Cookspinach1948 Dorchester-Boston, MA
The Rating6 people
LOVE chicken and dumplings!!!!!!THANKYOU!High 5!lanabade in Goshen loved it
HI! This looks YUMMY YUMMY I could make For Friday hmmmm, can't wait that long!! Dinner on Tuesday HIGH FIVE FORKS!!!!snowcat17 in Milwaukee loved it
Sound very good!!!goodeat in Benton loved it
Everyday Chefs68 members
Family Favourites134 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members
101 A Diabetic Low Carb Place158 members
Nostalgic Recipes104 members
Chicken Please145 members
Traditional Recipes30 members
Cookin With Chicken65 members
Oldies But Goodies113 members
Chicken Little166 members