Baked Macaroni with mornay SauceFrom chef2 7 years ago
- Baked macaroni is a pasta dish that makes use of elbow macaroni as the primary ingredient. At first look, this could be mistaken as the famous macaroni and cheese but there is more to this dish than just having pasta and cheese. shopping list
- Meat is one of its most important components. ground beef is usually used but others prefer ground pork, ground chicken, and even minced ham. Being a tomato based pasta, Baked macaroni uses diced tomatoes (or tomato sauce) and tomato paste as well. capsicum (or bell pepper) and paprika are optionally added to add more flavor and aroma. shopping list
- The description above makes a regular Baked macaroni but adding the Mornay sauce (or white sauce as we usually call it) makes it more special. This is a cheese and milk sauce made by combining a roux with milk and adding parmesan and gruyere cheese (or sharp cheddar if gruyere is not available). Then you’ll have rich and creamy pasta ready for baking. shopping list
- Try this Baked macaroni recipe. shopping list
- Ingredients: shopping list
- 1 lb uncooked elbow macaroni shopping list
- Meat Sauce: shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter shopping list
- 1 lb ground beef shopping list
- 1 ½ cup diced tomatoes (canned) shopping list
- 1 small onions, diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup tomato paste shopping list
- 1 tsp paprika shopping list
- 1 piece beef cube shopping list
- 1 cup water shopping list
- 1 tbsp sugar shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- Mornay Sauce: shopping list
- 3 tbsp butter shopping list
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 cups fresh milk shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 ounce grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese shopping list
- Cooking Procedure: shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Prepare the elbow macaroni according to instructions in the package and intentionally cut the cooking time so that the macaroni is not well done (the macaroni will be fully cooked once baked) then drain and set aside.
- 2. Cook the Meat sauce.
- 2.1. Heat the cooking pot and put-in the butter.
- 2.2. When the butter is hot enough, add the ground beef and cook for 5 minutes or until the color turns medium brown.
- 2.3. Add the onion, green bell pepper, and diced tomatoes then stir and simmer for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- 2.4. Add the tomato paste and paprika then stir and cook for a minute
- 2.5. Add the beef cube and water then stir until everything is well distributed. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2.6. Put-in the sugar, salt, and pepper then mix well. Turn of the heat and set aside.
- 3. Cook the Mornay sauce
- 3.1 In a saucepan place the butter and allow to melt over medium heat.
- 3.2 Add the flour stir constantly for about a minute (color must be yellowish and not brown).
- 3.3 Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil.
- 3.4 Add salt and pepper then simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3.5 Stir in the cheeses and whisk until melted.
- 4. Combine the cooked macaroni and meat sauce in a baking dish then toss until the meat sauce is well distributed.
- 5. Arrange the macaroni and pour the Mornay sauce over it. (Spread the Mornay sauce over the macaroni and meat sauce mixture ensuring that every space is covered)
- 6. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down a bit.
- 8. Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!
The Cookchef2 Las Vegas, NV
The Rating3 people
You can't miss with this one. It has always amazed me that you can take a bit of this and a spoonful of that, and voila! a mouth watering creation. I guess that's what makes cooking so rewarding. And, then, on top of that, it's there to share with th...moretablescape in loved it
lovely recipe!midgelet in Eastern loved it