Uncle Joes Chicken KelaguenFrom hopscotch 7 years ago
- 5 pounds of skin-on chicken thighs shopping list
- 2 cup of lemon juice (fresh) shopping list
- 1/3 cup of lemon powder (UPDATE: original recipe had 1-1/3 cups) shopping list
- 4 tbsp. of lime juice shopping list
- 4 tbsp. of salt shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced shopping list
- 2 tbsp. of diced hot red peppers shopping list
- 1/2 cup of diced green onions shopping list
- 1/2 cup of fresh grated coconut shopping list
How to make it
- 60 minutes affords the time to halve the coconut with a machete, then get a conju to grate the coconut.
- Grill the chicken thighs, unseasoned. Make sure they aren’t overcooked; juices should still be flowing when you pierce it with a knife or a fork. Let it cool enough to prepare, but it should still be warm for the next steps.
- Dice/cube the chicken, about 1/2-inch pieces. You can skin the chicken if you like, but for most authentic flavor, include the skin in your diced pieces.
- Combine the lemon juice, lime juice, lemon powder (lemon juice can be substituted - adjust to your liking) and salt, making sure the salt is well dissolved. Set aside half the liquid mixture.
- Pour one half of the liquid citrus mixture with the warm chicken and mix so that there is an even coating on all the chicken pieces. Add the onions and hot pepper and mix again. (Traditionally, we hand-mixed at this step).
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Add the rest of the liquid mixture to the chicken and toss/mix again. Garnish with the coconut and green onions.
- Serve cold with hot white or brown rice, wrapped in warm corn or flour tortillas, or by itself.
- You can add more or less salt to taste, and add more or less hot pepper to achieve the desired spiciness.
The Cookhopscotch CA
- Not added to any groups yet!