Orange pastry creamFrom hopscotch 4 years ago
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon orange zest shopping list
- 3 egg yolks shopping list
- ¼ cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier (or 1/2 teaspoon orange extract) shopping list
How to make it
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk and orange zest over low heat until it is just hot enough to steam. While the milk is warming, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once the milk is steaming, add half of it, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture. Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk, continue stirring, and heat it for 1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170F on a digital thermometer and is very thick. Remove from the heat, stir in the vanilla extract and Grand Marnier(or extract), and chill before filling pastry.
- This orange pastry cream recipe makes approximately 2 cups flavored cream.