chicken and pinto bean chiliFrom aalweh 6 years ago
- 8 dried red chilies, such as New Mexico red, stemmed and seeded shopping list
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds shopping list
- 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves or 2 teaspoons dried shopping list
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, soaked overnight and drained shopping list
- 3 medium yellow onions, chopped shopping list
- 2 large carrots, chopped shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped shopping list
- 3 jalapeños (preferably red), stemmed, seeded, and chopped shopping list
- 2 pounds skinless chicken thighs shopping list
- 2 tablespoons salt shopping list
- Shredded sharp Cheddar or Cotija cheese for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Cover the chilies with about 4 cups boiling water and steep until soft, about 15 minutes. Reserve 2 cups of the soaking liquid and then drain the chilies. In a blender, puree the chilies with the reserved liquid.
- 2. Meanwhile, toast and grind the cumin seeds and toast the oregano as described at left (don't toast dried oregano). Put the beans in a stockpot and cover them with 7 cups water. Add the chili puree, toasted ground cumin, toasted (or dried) oregano, onions, carrot, garlic, jalapeños, and chicken thighs. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, skimming any foam. Remove the chicken thighs when cooked, 25 to 30 min. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the bones into large pieces and set aside; discard the bones. Continue cooking the beans until tender, another 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Return the chicken to the pot to heat it thoroughly. Season with the salt, adding more to taste. Serve in bowls topped with the grated cheese.