Beef Steak and Vegetables in Fresh Corn TortillasFrom choclytcandy 3 years ago
- Ingredients shopping list
- corn tortillas shopping list
- 2 cups / 300g masa harina shopping list
- 1 1/3 cup water shopping list
- steak and vegetables shopping list
- 7 oz / 200g beef steak (e.g. 1 new york strip steak) shopping list
- ¼ tsp dried ground cumin shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 2 fresh poblano peppers (often sold as pasilla peppers), cut into ½ in / 1cm pieces shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½ in / 1cm pieces shopping list
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into ½ in / 1cm pieces shopping list
- 1/8 tsp cumin shopping list
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste shopping list
- ¼ cup / 60ml white wine shopping list
- ½ cup / handful cilantro, coarsely chopped shopping list
- a few cilantro leaves as garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Corn Tortillas
- 1.Combine masa harina with water. Mix well until you get a smooth dough. Add water in tablespoon increments if necessary.
- 2.Divide dough into 6 equal parts. Shape each part into a ball.
- 3.Use a tortilla press to make tortillas. I find it works best to press the tortillas between two sheets of parchment paper (most instructions seem to recommend plastic foil but I find that too flimsy).
- 4.Carefully peel each tortilla off the parchment paper.
- 5.Place on ungreased hot cast iron griddle (or in a cast iron pan).
- 6.Cook ca. 30s from one side, flip over, cook for 60s, flip back and cook for another 30s.
- 7.Keep tortillas warm (in oven set to low temperature or wrapped in a clean kitchen towel)
- 8.Repeat until all tortillas have been made
- Steak, Vegetables and Assembling the Tortillas
- 1.Sprinkle steak with freshly ground pepper and cumin.
- 2.Place heavy fry pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Cook steak until done, ca. 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from pan and set aside.
- 3.Place heave saute pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and brown sugar. Cook until the sugar starts to darken.
- 4.Add onion, cook until onion starts to brown. Add poblano and bell peppers, chopped tomato and ground cumin. Cook until the peppers start to soften, stir frequently.
- 5.Add salt and white wine. Cook until liquid has mostly evaporated. Adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- 6.Stir in chopped cilantro.
- 7.Cut steak into thin slices. For all six tortillas, place steak and vegetable mix on one half of a tortilla. Fold over. Garnish with a few cilantro leaves. Serve.
- I find freshly prepared corn tortillas to be a real treat. They are most easily shaped with a tortilla press. I have an 8in (ca. 20cm) press which is available from many sources for less than $20.
- Yields 6 tortillas
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating2 people
This sounds wonderful! Nice spices here, and I love it that the tortillas are home-made!juels in Clayton loved it
MEXICAN FOOD424 members
Anything Goes286 members
Con Sabor Caribe Y Latino61 members
Mexican Cooking139 members
Cooking With Booze79 members
Addicted To Recipes38 members
International Dishes43 members
Mama Mias Recipes7 members
Multi Cultural Cooking Network6 members