Potato Soup with ShrimpFrom alaskanmom 7 years ago
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 1 small onion, diced shopping list
- 2 medium carrots, diced about the same size as the onion shopping list
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 8 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed shopping list
- 4 cups milk, whole, reduced fat (2 percent) or low fat (1 percent) shopping list
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot milk shopping list
- 1 cup half-and-half shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper shopping list
- 2 cups salted water shopping list
- 1 pound medium shrimp shopping list
- Crumbled bacon bits, for garnish shopping list
- Grated sharp Cheddar, for garnish shopping list
- dill sprigs, optional garnish shopping list
How to make it
- In a 4-quart saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion and carrots until both are slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, milk, and dissolved bouillon cubes.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are very soft and some of them have begun to dissolve into mush.
- Add the half-and-half, salt, and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil.
- Add the shrimp all at once and stir well. Watch the shrimp closely; as soon as they all turn pink, about 2 to 3 minutes, turn off the heat and drain. The shrimp should be slightly undercooked. When they are cool, peel them, and chop roughly into big chunks. Add the shrimp to the soup and stir well.
- Serve soup sprinkled with bacon bits and grated cheese. Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.
The Cookalaskanmom Wasilla, AK
- Not added to any groups yet!