RatatouilleFrom splosh 4 years ago
- 3 large eggplants, halved lengthways shopping list
- 3 large zucchinies, halved lengthways shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 150ml olive oil shopping list
- 3 large onions, sliced into thin rings shopping list
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree shopping list
- 4 cloves chopped garlic shopping list
- 3 large peppers, deseeded and cut into strips shopping list
- 5 large tomatoes, skinned and chopped shopping list
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander shopping list
- small pinch of cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil shopping list
- freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Cut the eggplants and zucchinies across into slices about 2cm thick, then arrange them in layers in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt. Top with a weighted plate and leave to drain for 1 hour
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan over low heat, add the onions and fry gently for about 10 minutes until soft but not coloured. Stir in the tomato puree and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rinse eggplant and zucchini in cold water, then pat dry with absorbent paper and add to pan. Stir in the garlic and peppers, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the rest of seasoning, stir, and leave to cook for a further 40-45 minutes. Remove the lid for the final few minutes to let the sauce reduce if the dish seems too liquid. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.