French Onion SoupFrom cheftom 7 years ago
- 6 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 6 onions, sliced thin shopping list
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- 1/4 black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup white wine shopping list
- 2 cups beef broth shopping list
- 6 cups water shopping list
- For Serving: shopping list
- thick slices of bread shopping list
- gruyere cheese shopping list
- fresh thyme leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onions, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally for about 12 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the beef broth and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- To serve, broil slices of bread until brown on each side.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each piece of bread and return to the broiler for another minute or two until melted.
- Fill a soup bowl with the onion soup and top with a piece of the toasted bread and cheese. Sprinkle some fresh thyme leaves on top.
- More of my recipes: http://www.cheftomcooks.com
The Cookcheftom Lindenhurst, NY
The Rating5 people
thanks for sharing, I love onion soups!midgelet in Eastern loved it
french onion soup is a favorite...and you're right it will be perfect with the NY weather...five forkspeetabear in mid-hudson valley loved it