Montelimar Style NougatFrom hopscotch 5 years ago
- Two 9-inch by 13-inch sheets rice or wafer paper (pain azyme) shopping list
- 3 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups honey shopping list
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 6 egg whites, room temperature shopping list
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 teaspoon brandy shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups whole blanched almonds, toasted shopping list
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- Line a 9-inch by 13-inch by 1-inch pan with the wafer paper and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, dissolve the sugar, honey, corn syrup, and water, and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly. Begin to beat the egg whites while the sugar mixture continues cooking, untouched. Beat the egg whites on high until stiff, wet peaks form.
- Once the sugar syrup reaches 300F on a candy thermometer, pour it very slowly and steadily into the egg whites, whisking them the entire time. Add the lemon zest and continue whisking the hot nougat mixture for 8 to 12 minutes, until it cools slightly and thickens.
- Stir the vanilla, brandy, almonds, pistachios, and salt into the nougat and quickly spread it onto the prepared pan. Gently place the second piece of wafer paper on top of the nougat and evenly press it into the nougat so that no air bubbles remain.
- Cover the nougat in an airtight container or plastic wrap and allow it to set for 3 to 5 days before cutting and wrapping individual pieces.
- This nougat blanc recipe makes approximately 10 dozen 1-inch candies.