Lemon Glazed Spice CakeFrom goodeat 7 years ago
- Cake: shopping list
- 1 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (you can use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour if you don't have wheat flour) shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 3 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract shopping list
- 1/3 cup almond oil (or any lightly colored oil) shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk (if you'd like to make this vegan, use soy milk instead of buttermilk. also add a splash of white vinegar to the wet ingredients) shopping list
- lemon Glaze: shopping list
- 1 cup powdered sugar shopping list
- juice of 1 lemon shopping list
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 8x8-inch baking pan. shopping list
How to make it
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the oil, buttermilk (or soy milk and a splash of vinegar) and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients. Fold together until the ingredients are well combined, but notovermixed.
- Spread batter out into baking pan and bake for 25-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, assemble the lemon glaze. Mix the powdered sugar with the lemon until smooth and loose enough to drizzle easily.
- When cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and use a toothpick or fork to dot holes in the warm cake. While the cake is still warm, slowly drizzle it with lemon glaze, spreading out the glaze to create a coating that will dry and harden slightly.
- Let cool to room temperature and serve topped with slightly whipped cream.