Romanian Walnut Panetone Cozonaci cu nucaFrom valy103 6 years ago
- Romanian Panetone dough: shopping list
- 2 lbs/1 kg flour, shopping list
- 10 oz/300 g sugar, shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups milk, shopping list
- 6 eggs, shopping list
- 2 oz/50 g yeast, shopping list
- 7 oz/200 g butter, shopping list
- 2 tablespoons oil, shopping list
- vanilla stick, salt, shopping list
- egg for washing the dough, shopping list
- grease for the pans. shopping list
- Filling: 10 oz/300 g ground walnuts, shopping list
- 1 cup milk, shopping list
- 3/4 cup sugar, shopping list
- 1/4 cup rum, vanilla shopping list
How to make it
- Make a starter from yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Mix until the consistency of sour cream, add 2-3 tablespoons tepid milk, a little flour and mix well; sprinkle some flour on top, cover and let sit in a warm place to rise. Boil the milk with the vanilla stick (cut in very small pieces) and leave it on the side of the range, covered, to keep warm.
- Mix the yolks with the sugar and salt, then slowly pour the tepid milk, stirring continuously. Place the risen starter in a large bowl and pour, stirring continuously, the yolk-milk mixture and some flour, a little at a time. Then add 3 whipped egg whites. When you finish this step, start kneading. Knead, adding melted butter combined with oil, a little at a time, until the dough starts to easily come off your palms. Cover with a cloth and then something thicker (like a blanket). Leave in a warm place to triple in bulk. If during kneading the dough seems too hard, you may add a little milk. If, on the contrary, the dough seems too soft, you may add a little flour.
- Melt the sugar in the warm milk with vanilla in a pot on the range. When the sugar is melted, add the walnuts and keep stirring. After a few minutes of boiling, and after the filling has thickened, remove from heat and add rum. When the filling is cold, roll a sheet of dough about one finger thick, uniformly spread the walnut filling on top and roll like a jelly roll.
- Grease a bread pan, place the roll inside, let rise for a while. Wash with egg and bake at medium heat. Take out of the pan as soon as it is done, place on a cloth and let cool.