Great BaklavaFrom tomthegeek 6 years ago
- 1 pound of phyllo sheets shopping list
- 1 pound of finely chopped walnuts shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 pound of butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon - divided shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of allspice shopping list
- 1 tablespoon or powdered cloves shopping list
- 1 pound of honey shopping list
- juice from 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons) shopping list
How to make it
- thaw phyllo dough according to directions
- mix together nuts, allspice, cloves and half of cinnamon
- melt one stick of butter at a time in small bowl
- brush bottom of 13x9 pan with melted butter
- layer sheets of dough, one at a time in pan, brushing with melted butter to completely cover each sheet.
- After about 6 sheets, spread a layer of the nut mixture over the dough and continue layering dough and butter.
- Repeat the process to include all of the mixture before you run out of dough.
- After the last sheet has been placed and buttered, cut several slits in the top of the dough to let the steam escape.
- Bake at 350 for about 35-45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- While it is baking, in a sauce pan on the stove, mix the honey, sugar, lemon juice and remainder of the cinnamon
- Bring to boil and the reduce the heat and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the baklava from the oven and pour the sauce over the dough, make sure it covers all parts.
- Let it set for at least 24 hours to completely soak up all the juice.
- If you want the baklava to be a little chewy, then refrigerate for several hours (after the 24 hour soak in period)
- From the 9x13 pan, I cut the squares small. They are super sweet and you can always go back for another. I get 55 to 60 from each pan.
- For that added touch, you can drizzle some chocolate over the top after you cut them.
The Cooktomthegeek Crandall, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!