Tortilla Soup Full BodyFrom devin25forfood 6 years ago
- Family recipe from the 1860's used in el chapparel for over 50 years. shopping list
- 1 whole chicken shopping list
- half a bunch of fresh celery shopping list
- one minced fresh onion shopping list
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil shopping list
- 1 .5 cups of long grain rice shopping list
- 3 cups of water shopping list
- 2 tablespoons of cumin shopping list
- 2 teaspoons of worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 2 small fresh jalapenos or heat to taste shopping list
- 1 tablespoon of freshly pressed garlic shopping list
- 4 cups of freshly chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 4 fresh pablano peppers minced for flavor not spice shopping list
- 2.5 cups of white corn fresh from the cob shopping list
- 3 corn tortillas, home made if pos. to make strips of chips or just buy tortilla chips. shopping list
- 1/4 cup of freshly chopped cilantro shopping list
- 1.5 cups of sharp cheddar shopping list
- 1 small ripe avacado sliced in to quarter moons shopping list
- 2 freshly juiced limes shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 habaneros chopped for the biggest heat lovers. Don not add if you don't like spice. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Boil a whole chicken. Reserve broth for soup stock.
- 2. De-bone chicken.
- 3. Heat a skillet on medium-high and add 3 tablespoons of oil along with the 1½ cups long grain rice. Sprinkle rice with salt, Stir constantly until rice is browned. Then add 3 cups of water cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not add to soup stock. Set aside.
- 4. Return de-boned chicken to soup stock. Add onion, garlic, cilantro, cumin, jalapenos, bay leaves, habaneros, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, and diced tomatoes. Simmer for one hour.
- 5. Serve the soup over the tortilla strips, , avocado slices, and rice in individual bowls with shredded cheddar cheese on top.