Ginger Glazed HamFrom lillyann 7 years ago
- 1 (12-pound) joint (mild cure boneless) ham shopping list
- 7 quarts dry ginger ale shopping list
- 1 cup chunky ginger preserves shopping list
- 2 tablespoons hot English mustard shopping list
- 1/2 cup soft dark brown sugar shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves shopping list
- * Cook's Note: If you can not get hold of ginger preserves, you can use ordinary orange marmalade and add 1 teaspoon of dry, ground ginger. shopping list
How to make it
- Place the joint in a large pan over the hob, or burner, and add 7 quarts of dry ginger ale. Bring the pan to the boil then lower the heat slightly so that it keeps bubbling steadily for 4 1/2 hours.
- Towards the end of the 4 1/2 hours, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and begin the glaze.
- In a bowl, add 1 cup of chunky ginger preserves. Stir in 2 tablespoons of hot English mustard. Add 1/2 a cup of soft, dark brown sugar and sprinkle in 1/2 a teaspoon of ground cloves.
- After 4 1/2 hours, gently lift the ham out of the pan and place on a foil-lined baking tray. Carefully cut away the skin, leaving a thin layer of fat. There is no need to score the surface, simply slap on the glaze and place the tray with the ham into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold.