Sugar Free Key Lime PieFrom icantboilwater 4 years ago
- 1 cup Splenda shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 3/4 cups water shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- 1 tablespoon butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup key lime juice shopping list
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest shopping list
- 1 (9 inch) pre-baked pie crust shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter (for meringue) shopping list
- 6 tablespoons Splenda (for meringue) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for browning the meringue
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg yolks and set the whites aside
- Combine the 1 cup of Splenda, flour, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the key lime juice and water. Cook over medium heat, stiring frequently, until thickened (important that it thickens)
- Gradually stir the cooked Splenda mixture into the beaten egg yolks, beating constantly.
- Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, and lime zest. Remove from the heat and let tthe mixture cool slightly.
- To prepare the meringue, beat the egg whites until light and frothy. Add the cream of tarter and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually beat in the remaining 6 tablespoons of Splenda and beat until the meringue is still and glossy.
- por the lime filling into the prepared pie shell. pile the meringue on top, spreading it until it ttouches the edges of the pastry to prevent the meringue from shrinking.
- Bake the pie at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 5 to 6 minutes or until the meringue topping is golden brown (this step is skipped if no meringue toipping is used)
- Let cool and refrigerate