Turkish Red Lentil Bride SoupFrom stagnantartist 3 years ago
- 4 Tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 onions, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 teaspoon paprika shopping list
- 1 cup red lentils, washed and picked over shopping list
- 1/2 cup fine bulgur wheat shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste shopping list
- 8 cups vegetable or beef stock shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon dried mint leaves, crumbled shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt shopping list
- Garnish: lemon slices and a few mint leaves shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onions over low heat until they are golden--about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the paprika, then the lentils and bulgur to coat them in the butter.
- Add the tomato paste, stock, salt and hot pepper, bring to a boil, and cook until soft and creamy--about an hour.
- When ready to serve, crumble the mint between your palms into the soup.
- Stir and remove the soup from the heat. Let rest for 10 minutes, then ladle into bowls, serving each with a lemon wedge and a sprinkling of mint leaves (if available) or crushed dried mint.